Information about COVID-19 Response (2020-2021)
The New School is actively updating relevant information about COVID-19 (Coronavirus) and updates regarding the fall semester.
Where to Get Tested
If you have been exposed to an individual who has tested positive for COVID-19 or require a test for any reason, please use the link below to find more information about receiving a test in Northwest Arkansas.
Parents and employees, please screen yourself and your child(ren) every morning. You should check your temperature and their temperature each morning when you and your child(ren) rise and ensure that neither you nor your child(ren) have any of the following symptoms:
- Temperature of 100.4 or higher
- Sore throat
- Cough (for students with chronic cough due to allergies or asthma, a change in their cough from baseline)
- Difficulty breathing (for students with asthma, a change from their baseline breathing)
- Diarrhea or vomiting
- New onset of severe headache, especially with a fever
If you or your child(ren) have any of the above symptoms, please contact your doctor for recommendations on testing for any infectious illnesses or COVID-19. Please be more cautious if there is a chance of being exposed to an individual who has tested positive for COVID-19.
Note that all ECE families and employees and all after school employees must complete the provided Google Form and will be screened onsite daily.
Distancing and Quarantine Criteria
For The New School's information regarding the bottom line about distancing and quarantine criteria, please view the following guide:
When to Notify The New School
In an effort to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus within our staff and student body we are asking all parents/guardians, the students who will be in attendance on site, and all employees to notify our designated point of contact, Nurse Sarah Wilson, immediately when the following occurs:
- Someone in the household has tested positive for COVID-19.
- Someone in the household has been identified as a close contact to a positive case of COVID-19, is requiring quarantine, and were recommended to be tested for COVID-19.
- A student (attending on site) or an employee is being tested for COVID-19.
The student or employee should remain in quarantine pending results of their COVID-19 test.
The health and well-being of our community is the responsibility of every single individual within the community. Our goal of keeping campus open whenever possible and as safe as possible depends entirely on the responsible personal behavior of every member of our community. View The New School’s Attestation Statement here.
Here at school, we have gone to great lengths to layer multiple mitigation strategies, as outlined in this plan and our FAQs. For these strategies to be effective, our students, employees, and families must consistently adhere to personal behaviors both in and out of school that reflect best practices for limiting the spread of infection. Please do your part by:
- Completing daily screenings of yourself and your children.
- Keeping your child home if they are ill and staying home if you are ill.
- Utilizing face coverings consistently and effectively.
- Maintaining physical distances of at least 6 feet, when interacting with those outside your household.
- Practicing good hand hygiene and limiting face touching.
- Reading school emails and communications to stay informed.
- Prioritizing getting a flu vaccine, unless there is a medical reason not to do so.
- Following school guidelines and expectations.
- Living and modeling our values of curiosity, character, and community by showing kindness and approaching challenging situations with the most grace and curiosity you can manage.
Ready to Open Campus Plan and FAQs
The New School has created the plan linked below as a living document that we will update as needed and will be referenced throughout this time. This plan includes but is not limited to:
- Requirements and Requests for families
- Decisions Regarding Campus Closure
- Risk Mitigation and Health
- Traffic Flow for Drop Off and Pick Up
- Dining and Food Service
- Division Specific Information (ECE, K-6, 7-12)
Leadership and administration will also continue to update the frequently asked questions (FAQs) document linked here, which should serve as a helpful reference for The New School community.